Empowering Youth

Participating in farming as a voluntary student from UJ.



   

You may be wondering why I chose to write about farming. To be honest, I haven't always been a great admirer of agriculture. However, working with Mama Fifi from Betram's City completely altered my perspective on it. I and other UJ CE students agreed to help Mama Fifi on her farm, which is called FIFI'S Veggie Farmacy. Visit Fifis Vegetable Farmacy's website at https//fifi'sveggiefarmacy.co.za/ for additional details about the farm. 

We all recognize the significance of farming to today's young, making agriculture (farming) the most effective sector to combat poverty. If we have a purpose in mind, I believe farming may be a gold mine for us young people who can contribute and produce enough healthy food to meet the demands of the expanding population and unemployment. We all know that agriculture is the backbone of our nation and that the future of the country is in our hands as youth, which is why farming should be treated as a responsibility shared by all, especially the youth in rural areas who have witnessed their fathers and forefathers struggling to make ends meet due to low productivity and occasionally the death of crops. Farming can enable individuals to grow all the food they need in one spot, with a smaller group of people, and by doing so they can create changes in each other's life even though producing money is very vital.

 After dividing the area into several portions and leveling it, my volunteer partner and I planted a Chinese spinach.


Farming offers both sustenance and revenue, making it a promising career route for young people who are motivated, passionate, and eager to get their hands dirty. Youth unemployment has long been a problem in our community. I learned from my own experience that farming is truly not just for the elderly. Anyone can become engaged. Because of this, Mama Fifi was quite honest about how difficult farming is; she claimed that if you put in the necessary effort and have persistence, you can practically run the ring.

Comments

  1. Very impressive and informative content, it will also motivate youth to get more involved in farming

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilike what you guys are doing....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment